Working from Lesvos

What documents do you need to work as a digital nomad in Lesvos and how do you apply for them? Do you have to pay taxes if you work from here? And what about having access to healthcare facilities? Find the answers to the questions you may have about working from Lesvos below or find out more at Work From Greece.


If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you have the right to enter and move freely within Greece, according to EU law.

For third-party nationals (ie non-EU, EEA & Switzerland), you can apply for a Digital Nomad Visa letting you live and work in Greece hassle-free. It gives you legal residence as a remote worker for up to a year, after which you can apply for a Digital Nomad Residence Permit, if you want to stay longer.
You’ll need to prove that you have sufficient resources for the length of your stay or a salary of at least €3,500 per month after taxes as a dependent employee or a self-employed person working remotely with employers outside Greece. The monthly amount increases by 20% if you’re accompanied by your spouse or a cohabitant and 15% for each child. The Digital Nomad Residence Permit is valid for up to two years (renewable every 2 years for 2 more years).

Note that you won’t have the right to work for a Greek company during this period, either on a permanent or freelance basis.

You can apply for a Digital Nomad Visa at the Greek consular authority in your country of main residence as part of a fast track process. The request can be made by email or registered letter and the consular authority is obliged to respond within 10 days, with the eventual residency permit being issued by the Greek Ministry of Migration and Asylum.

If you need extra assistance preparing your Digital Nomad Visa Application , you can book a 1st free consultation call with the Guide Foreigners team, who offer paid personalized services.

  • ou have no tax liability in Greece when working for fewer than 180 days in a calendar year a) as a salaried employee of a company based outside Greece or b) whilst offering services on a self-employed basis to companies based outside Greece.
  • If you do live in Greece for 180 days or more of a calendar year, you may need to move your tax residency to Greece (including getting a Greek tax number) and pay local taxes. An extension to this time period was given to foreign tax residents during 2020 and 2021 due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
  • If you work for a Greek company at any time during your stay in Greece, you will need to pay local taxes.
  • The Greek state has recently introduced a range of benefits and tax incentives to attract foreign professionals to Greece and assume Greek tax residency (Article 5C of law 4172/2013). Such applications take place at specific times during the year. Therefore, you will need to refer to the competent authorities for more information.
  • Should you require any additional guidance for taxation tailored to your case, you find out more by contacting the ‘Guide Foreigners’ team, who offer paid relative services.
  • If you’re an EU citizen, you should get a European Health Insurance Card in the country in which you are insured before you come to Greece. This will give you access to the Greek national healthcare system (EOPYY), only paying for the medical care that Greek citizens would be required to pay for. The coverage includes emergencies as well as chronic or existing illnesses. Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider. Of course, if you want more comprehensive coverage, you should get private health insurance.
  • If you’re coming from elsewhere, you’ll need to obtain private health insurance as you won’t be entitled to the benefits of the Greek public healthcare system. Regular travel insurance will give you emergency coverage for a limited period but for longer stays, you will need specialised health coverage, such as Global Health Insurance, which is designed for digital nomads and remote workers and accepted in public hospitals.

Source of info: | More FAQs about working from Greece here.

How to get here

By plane

  • Transavia: Amsterdam
  • Jet2: London
  • Corendon Dutch Airlines: Amsterdam
  • TUI Airlines Belgium: Brussels
  • TUI fly Netherlands: Amsterdam
  • Brussels Airlines: Brussels
  • Enter Air: Warsaw
  • Aegean / Olympic: Athens, Thessaloniki
  • Sky express:Athens, Thessaloniki

By ferry

  • Hellenic Seaways: 
    • Piraeus to Mytilene 43€ / 53,50€
    • Kavala to Mytilene 28€
  • Blue Star Ferries:
    • Piraeus to Sigri  43€ / 53,50€
    • Thessaloniki to Mytilene 36,50€
    • Kavala to Mytilene 28€
  • Seajets
    • Thessaloniki to Mytilene 77,70€